Quote: [Sadly I can't find any way to paste node properties from one node to another.]
Yes, you can.
1. Change the properties of a node that you will use as a model or prototype.
2. With context menu (right+click on any of the palette headers add a new section. Give it a name --could be "my prototype objects"--
3. On the canvas change the properties of an object, say, a node.
4. Once finished, right +click on that object and choose "Add to Palette", then the section you just created.
5. Go to that section on the palette window and look for your object.
6. If you right+click on that object and choose "Apply", the properties of that object will be inherited by all those on the canvas that you select beforehand.