Welcome to yEd Q&A!
Here you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community and yEd developers. And you can tell us your most wanted feature requests.

Graph Area a Blank

0 votes
I am using yEd 3.16.2.1 on a Mac with OS 10.8.5. I was in the middle of setting up a tree version of my family relations, and apparently did something that caused the graph area to go blank. I can stll access the data that I entered, by clicking on individual names in the "Successors" area, but the Graph Area remains blank.

I don't know if this is related, but I noticed that for several minutes before the graph area went blank, each time I entered the name of a person into its intended node, the size of the text was larger than the previous entry, until the text had become so large that all I could see was maybe a part of one letter of the text. I was able to reduce the size of the text each time by using the "fit label to node" command, but it was shortly after using one of these commands that I got the blank graph area.

Is likely that I can recover the file so that it displays correctly?
asked Mar 5 in Help by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes

If you can see the individual names also listed in the 'Structure View' panel, then your file should be recoverable.
From your description it sounds as if maybe some part of the graph got very large coordinate values. When you click on the '1:1' magnifying glass tool (in the tool bar), you should be able to see your diagram at 100% size. Maybe there is one element very far away from all others.

If this doesn't help and/or you want us to take a look at your file, please see http://yed.yworks.com/support/qa/1734, which explains how to upload a file to the yEd Q&A. (Since this question was posted anonymously, uploading to it is unfortunately not possible, i.e. you will have to upload in the context of a new question.)

answered Mar 7 by thomas [yWorks] (22,220 points)
Thomas, as it happens, the "large text" turned out to be the problem. I still don't know WHY its size kept increasing, but eventually the text became so large that just one letter of it obscured everything else in the graph area, including my carefully constructed family tree. The solution was to make sure that the text was entered as (say) 12 point, before I hit "APPLY".